DVLA – Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency – this is the UK organisation who register the vehicle

DVSA – Driver Vehicle Standards Agency – the UK organisation who carry out vehicle testing in the UK

HMRC – Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs is a department of the UK Government responsible for the collection of taxes when you import a car to the UK

HMRC Car Team – The department within HMRC who handle car imports

IVA – Individual Vehicle Approval

IVA1C – Form to apply for an IVA Test

Mutual Recognition Certificate – shows that your vehicle is suitable to be driven on roads in the UK

NOVA – Notification of Vehicle Arrival – this is essentially a database that holds customs clearance statuses for cars imported into the UK. Once your car is clear of UK customs you can submit it to the NOVA database either online (if car import is from the EU) or via the HMRC Car Team

RoRo – (Roll-on-Roll-off) – a popular lower cost option for car shipping from Australia to the UK

ToR1 – Application for Transfer of Residence relief. Use this form to apply for Transfer of Residence relief when you want to move your home from outside the EU to the UK.

VCA – Vehicle Certification Agency – the UK organisation who manage type approval documentation

V55 – the application form needed to register a car with the DVLA

V5C – the UK registration document / logbook